Easy, reasonably quick comfort food is what you will get with this recipe for Shepherd’s Pie! This seasonal favorite, created with ground beef, mashed potatoes, and, oftentimes, vegetables, delivers immense flavor and satisfying textures in one delicious bite. For a delectable take on the classic comfort food, try this recipe, which requires only eight ingredients for an incredible homemade meal.
• 1 1/2 to 2 pounds potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), peeled and quartered
• 1 stick butter
• 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
• 1-2 cups vegetables—diced carrots, corn, peas
• 1 ½ pounds ground beef
• 1/2 cup beef broth
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
1. Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in a medium-sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.
3. If you are including vegetables, add them according to their cooking time. Carrots should be cooked with the onions because they take as long to cook as the onions do. If you are including peas or corn, add them toward the end of the cooking of the onions, as they take little time.
4. Add ground beef to the pan with the onions and vegetables. Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the Worcestershire and beef broth. Bring broth to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more broth if necessary, to keep the meat from drying out.
6. When the potatoes are done cooking, remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter. Mash and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Preheat oven to 400°F. Evenly layer the beef, onions, and vegetables in a large baking dish.
8. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef. Rough up the surface of the mashed potatoes with a fork so there are peaks that will get well browned.
9. Place in a 400°F oven and cook until browned and bubbling about 30 minutes.
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Hunters Point Apartments in College Station, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!